During the cold months, we (me included) are all craving for comfort food. I’m not really a fan of warming stews, and who has the time on a weekly night to prepare a hearty casserole? Clearly, I don’t! But I love to warm up with a bowl of soup. First, it’s healthy, it’s economic and last but not least, homemade soup is super easy. Yes, easier than grabbing a can at the supermarket! And what more French than a Ratatouille Soup made from roasted vegetables?!
So here I am, sharing with you this family recipe that screams my love for the South of France and the Mediterranean diet. And if you’re not a soup fan, here is the classic Ratatouille recipe. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ingredients for 4
1 zucchini cubed
1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
5 tomatoes, quartered
1 yellow onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
4 tbsp minced fresh basil
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sweet onion confit from our Pantry
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Pumpkin seeds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 450 F degrees.
- Lay down all the vegetables with 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and pepper, on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Let them cook until a little brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, warm 2 tbsp of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and 1 minute. Add the roasted vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Add the broth to the vegetables and let it simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the sweet onion confit and 2 tbsp of the fresh basil, and using a blender or food processor, blend the vegetables to your desired texture.
- Divide between four bowls (or save some in a glass bottle in the fridge for 2 days or freezer for up to 2 months), and top with the remaining basil leaves and pumpkin seeds for decoration.
- Voila! Your Ratatouille Soup is ready to enjoy.
She is the co-founder of Bon Appétit Box. She was born & raised in Montpellier in the South of France and then spent 5 years exploring the culinary offerings of Paris. In her free time, she loves to walk on the beach watching the sea scenery in every season. When she comes back to France, her favorite thing is to sit outside with friends and enjoy some cheese (she’s a fan of Roquefort!) with a glass of red wine of course!
The post Ratatouille Soup appeared first on Bon Appétit Box Gourmet French Food Gift Subscription Boxes.