Last updated, March 6, 2021
Ratatouille is not only this gifted rat from Pixar, but it’s also a delicious dish that originates from Provence, South of France! It came to exist over centuries of vegetables foreign to the region making their way to France, and French chefs doing the rest of the work. The various vegetables are arranged in a beautiful bouquet and cooked and drizzled with a luxurious sauce, making it a culinary work of art. It’s easy, healthy and the perfect side dish for your summer BBQ.
Whether it’s an old family recipe, or you’re just trying it for the first time, you’re bound to love making Ratatouille. Just gather fresh ingredients and you’re ready to go!
Preparation Time: 1h
Cook Time: 1h
Ingredients for 6
3 zucchinis thinly sliced
2 yellow squash thinly sliced
2 eggplant thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 can of diced tomato
1 yellow onion sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- For the sauce, blend all the ingredients together in a sauce blender.
- Cover the bottom of the cast-iron skillet in a generous, even layer of sauce, setting aside enough to drizzle on top of the dish later.
- Prepare the vegetables by slicing them similar in thickness. Arrange them in the skillet by layering them in a spiral, alternating between vegetables.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce over the vegetables, and cover the skillet with a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake for one hour.
She is the co-founder of Bon Appétit Box. She was born & raised in Montpellier in the South of France and then spent 5 years exploring the culinary offerings of Paris. In her free time, she loves to walk on the beach watching the sea scenery in every season. When she comes back to France, her favorite thing is to sit outside with friends and enjoy some cheese (she’s a fan of Roquefort!) with a glass of red wine of course!
The post Traditional French Ratatouille appeared first on Bon Appétit Box Gourmet French Food Gift Subscription Boxes.