When people think of French cuisine one of the first dishes that will come to mind is the classic Onion Soup. What makes French onion soup a delicate dish with unparalleled flavor is the technique used to make it, by taking the time to caramelize the onions and draw out their naturally sweet flavor. Later the soup is famously topped with bread and French gruyère cheese and broiled in the oven to perfection. Made for the first time in Paris during the 18th century, we are sharing today a family recipe that was passed down from generations to generations. And for an extra kick of onion, Zoe’s grandma used to add onion confit spread to the slice of rustic bread on top, just before the cheese. The layers of flavor will make this recipe one of your favorites!
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 1h
Ingredients for 4 servings
6 large yellow onions
4 slices of French bread
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp Onion Confit
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp of dried thyme
3 10 oz cans of beef broth
5 oz Gruyère cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot combine thinly sliced onions, heavy cream, and butter, and stir occasionally over medium heat until the onions are softened and translucent, and the cream reduces to its solids-about 25 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and stir in beef broth. Add salt, pepper, and thyme and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup servings into an oven-safe bowl or pan. Top each bowl with French bread generously spread with onion confit and Gruyère cheese.
- Broil for several minutes, until the bread is delicately toasted and the cheese is melted and crisp.
- Allow it to cool, and enjoy your classic French Onion Soup!
She is the co-founder of Bon Appétit Box. She was born & raised in Montpellier in the South of France and then spent 5 years exploring the culinary offerings of Paris. In her free time she loves to walk on the beach watching the sea scenery in every season. When she comes back to France, her favorite thing is to sit outside with friends and enjoy some cheese (she’s a fan of Roquefort!) with a glass of red wine of course!
The post French Onion Soup appeared first on Bon Appétit Box Gourmet French Food Gift Subscription Boxes.