Most of us don’t spend time making breakfast during the workweek. An instant coffee and banana usually tide us over until lunch.
Sunday, on the other hand, is the perfect day to prepare a delicious brunch. I’m a huge fan of breakfast sandwiches, because they usually include lots of cheese and a runny egg. YUM.
The coupling of sweet and savory is one of my favorite combinations, so today’s brunch will marry the two perfectly and leave you craving more. The following recipe is for one person. If you’re having friends over for bottomless mimosas and brunch, alter accordingly!
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Ingredients for 1 serving
2 slices of sourdough bread
1 egg, cooked as desired
2 slices of bacon (optional)
French gruyère cheese, finely grated
⅓ cup of purple fig jam
Handful of arugula
Pinch of salt
Pepper, to taste
- This dish does not need bacon, but if you absolutely love it or you’re feeling adventurous, place a couple slices of bacon in a pan over low heat. Bacon should be cooked low and slow (about 10-15 minutes).
- In the meantime, take a separate pan and put some butter in over medium heat. Wait for the butter to melt, then place the slices of sourdough in the pan and reduce to low heat.
- Sprinkle plenty of French gruyère cheese over one slice of bread because…well, why not?
- You can relax for a little and take a sip of your mimosa until the cheese starts to melt and the bacon begins to brown.
- After about 5 minutes, the cheese should be melted and you can remove the sourdough from the pan.
- Once you’ve gotten your bacon to desired crispiness, take it off the pan and put it aside.
- Now cook your egg right in the bacon grease! I personally love a yolky fried egg. Crack the egg right into the pan over medium heat. Wait until the whites are firm and the yolk just begins to harden. Carefully flip the egg and wait about 1 minute before removing from the pan.
- Place that perfectly fried egg on the piece of toast covered in slowly simmered gruyère; layer with bacon, salt and pepper to taste and a handful of arugula.
- Spread the delicious purple fig jam liberally on the other slice of toast and top off the sandwich. Voilà! Enjoy your brunch solo or with friends.
From West Hollywood to Hermosa Beach to Los Feliz – Genna is from all over Los Angeles. She is passionate about fashion, film and food. She’s been to six countries in Europe and loves the cuisine and culture. She enjoys making dinner for friends, watching horror films and drinking good wine.